THOU SHALT NOT suffer a Madman, a Fool, an Idiot or a Politician!
(except if your a politician then its "Thou shalt not get caught!")

October 8, 2010

Deep Fried Peaches

  All right I admit it! I love peaches! Peaches for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack. The greatest food that there has ever been, PEACHES!!!

When I was little my mother made a treat that her mother from Sweden had taught her, Deep Fried Peaches. I have done a lot of looking over the years, Texas(they will deep fry anything) and Georgia (they love their peaches) were my first guess, but I couldn't find anything like this. Simple and tasty! the following is the original receipt, with a small modification (the batter mix), as handed down in the family.

( your preferences on oil, pot or fry pan, sugar and additional ingredients. I just know what I like!)
At least 2 peaches per person; peeled, halved, stoned and patted dry. Or you can just slice em up and throw them in! (less work but doesn't taste nearly as good).
 a medium bowl of instant pancake batter, sweetened with brown sugar (1/4-1/2 cup), 1/4 tsp. vanilla flavor, cinnamon and nutmeg to taste.
I like a thin batter (crispy), others will like it thicker (doughy).
A deep oil fryer is best, filled to about 3 inches deep with your favorite oil, shortening, or lard. Heated as high as possible without smoking,  to crisp and quickly seal the batter from absorbing extra oil.
   Dip the peaches in the sweet batter and place into the hot oil.
Cook until both sides are golden and the edges are crispy,
remove from the oil and allow to drain.
   Serve hot after dusting with powdered sugar, slice and pig out!
  As a dessert may be served with ice cream or whipped cream, If your the type- a half shot of Cognac in the bottom of the serving bowl leaves you feeling warm and satisfied!

No comments: